- As some consumers see salads as side dishes, there is a tremendous opportunity for growth, particularly with entree salads that include protein.
- With endless options, salads can be featured year-round, and adding seasonal touches will increase perceived value and appeal.
- A recent survey conducted by a major food manufacturer shows that consumers ordering salads are looking for fresher ingredients, better topping variety, and more salad base options.
- A strong salad offering provides a positive position for operators focused on health and wellness.
- Consumer tastes continue to evolve, as shown by the fact that Americans now eat an average of 30 pounds of lettuce a year – that’s roughly five times as much as the early 1900s.
- Artisan lettuce blends continue to grow in demand and popularity, showing the general increase in appetite for expanded salad offerings.
With high profitability potential and faster preparation, there are many benefits to expanding your menu to include additional salad options:
Easily recognized for its soft green sphere shape and mild flavor. Sysco palletized lettuce is packed 24-count whole heads with consistent size and weight. Further processed 24-count whole head trimmed and bagged iceberg is another popular food service option.
red & green leaf
With a mild taste and a nice crunch, red and green leaf lettuce makes any salad instantly more colorful. We also offer artisan leaf lettuces and blends including petite oak, petite gem and petite tango.
Our romaine lettuce comes in traditional 24-count heads, hearts or crowns, washed, trimmed and ready for use. Romaine provides great versatility and can be used in salads, sandwiches or a crunchy garnish for entrees.
Click Here to Download our full Produce Guide which includes information on lettuce blends such as butterleaf, chopped cascade, and valley blend as well as recipes and current trends.