Portioning out Your Precious Resources
Controlling the portions you provide your customers is an easily overlooked by extremely important way to cut costs and preserve your restaurant's margins. Amid the hustle and bustle of today's high-energy commercial kitchens it's essential to have a tried and true method of keeping the portions your staff dishes out exact.
Starches, Veggies and Soups
Conservation of Margins
- Fix Leaky Faucets: Don't let a drip drain your budget!
- Wash Full Racks Only: It's a no-brainer, but pay attention to how your staff runs the dish pit. You'd be surprised how often someone runs a half-filled rack through the washer.
- Use a Foot Pedal for Hand-Washing Sinks: foot or knee pedals are a great way to avoid waste. They not only give your staff a sanitary way to operate the sink, but also shut off automatically to instantly help you save!
- Landscape for Conservation: Water outside can be just as costly, if not more, than water inside. Keep that in mind when you're adding a flower garden or line of decorative shrubs to the outside of your establishment.
- Train Your Employees: Without the help of your employees, your conservation plan is just a plan. Make sure each employee knows where your business stands when it comes to conserving.
So that's it! Control your portion sizes and think of ways to conserve the resources you pay for, and you'll find your margins increasing in no time! And best of all, once people hear about your environmentally conscious efforts, your business will pick up too. That sounds like Profit Magic to me!
Want more ideas like this? Download our "Profit Magic" booklet for more saavy ways to boost your business potential!