In honor of Back-to-School, Chef Marcus is mixing things up with some adult versions of a childhood favorite - the grilled cheese sandwich! Today, Chef is serving up his Classic Southern Surf Sandwich. This artisan creation has pimiento cheese, mac and cheese, lump crab meat, and lobster chunks in between 2 panini-style grilled slices of white crown bread. This is a grilled cheese fit for a king! Go ahead and make this dish using the recipe below, or come up with your own artisan grilled cheese sandwich and share it with us on Instagram! @SyscoAtlanta
2 slices white crown
6 ounces of lobster and crab meat
4 cups dried macaroni
1 whole egg
1/2 stick (4 tablespoons) butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 1/2 cups whole milk
2 heaping teaspoons dry mustard (more if desired)
1 pound sharp Cheddar, grated
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1159946 Cheese Chdr Shrp Fthr Shrd Ye
3896956 Crab Meat Special Pstrzd Asia
6807929 Lobster Meat Ch-Chl Blend 44%
6609804 Bread White Thk Sli Hi Crown
5587936 Pasta Macaroni Elbow
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cook the macaroni until still slightly firm. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot, melt the butter and sprinkle in the flour. Whisk together over medium-low heat. Cook for a couple of minutes, whisking constantly. Don't let it burn. Pour in the milk, add the mustard and whisk until smooth. Cook until very thick, about 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to low.
- In a small bowl beat the egg.
- Take 1/4 cup of the sauce and slowly pour it into the beaten egg, whisking constantly to avoid cooking the eggs. Whisk together until smooth. Pour the egg into the sauce, whisking constantly. Stir until smooth. Add in the cheese and stir to melt. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt and the pepper. Add any additional spices if desired. Taste the sauce and add more salt and seasoned salt as needed! DO NOT UNDERSALT.
- Pour in the drained, cooked macaroni and stir to combine. Fold in crab and lobster meat while it's still very creamy.