There's just something about cold weather that makes people crave the classic comfort food. Chef Marcus recommends giving your guests an indulgent break from their New Year's diets and warming them up with a Classic Southern-Style Shrimp & Grits. Try letting them customize the dish by adding bacon bits, grated cheese, cajun seasoning, and more, but Chef recommends that you keep your base offering more traditional so your guests can make it all their own.
Share with us how you do Shrimp & Grits or other classic southern favorites by tagging us on Instagram and Twitter!
1995216 Cereal Hot Grits White Stone Ground
6739153 Shrimp White Peeled Deveined Tail-Off
PRO TIP: Offer this as a "create your own" dish by suggesting add-ons, like cajun-seasoning for the shrimp, different cheeses to melt into the grits, or added ingredients like bacon bits or on-trend sriracha.
4 cups water
Salt and pepper
1 cup stone-ground grits
3 tablespoons butter
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
4 teaspoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
1 cup thinly sliced scallions
1 large clove garlic, minced
- Bring water to a boil, then add salt and pepper.
- Add grits and cook until water is absorbed, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in butter and cheese.
- Rinse your shrimp and pat dry. Add shrimp to a sauté pan and cook until shrimp turn pink.
- Add lemon juice, parsley, scallions and garlic. Sauté for 3 minutes.