With Halloween coming up in just over a week, Chef Marcus is getting spooky with some tasty Mac & Cheese "Globs"! These fried bites are a surprisingly tasty treat that you could offer as an appetizer or as a premium side offering, and then continue to serve long after the holiday is gone. Chef says that holidays are a good chance to think outside of the box and try out some more unusual menu offerings, then continue to them if you find they are particularly successful during the holidays. Since these delicious little mac and cheese bites are only halloween-themed by their name and bright orange color, you won't spook the crowd year-round.
5587936 Pasta Macaroni Elbow
3602976 Egg Sheel LG White Past USDA A
3029438 Butter Bulk Unsltd USDA AA
8379251 Flour All Purp H&R Bl En Mt
2323954 Milk Homogenized
5229026 Spice Mustard Ground Dry
6159263 Cheese Cheddar Sharp Print Yel
4540373 Salt Granulated Iodized
6920326 Salt Seasoned Trdtnl
5229273 Spice Pepper Blk Coarse Grnd
1 whole egg
1/2 stick (or 4 tablespoons)
2 1/2 cup
2 heaping teaspoons
1 pound, grated
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cook the macaroni in a pot of boiling water until still slightly firm. Drain and set aside.
- In a large pot, melt the butter and sprinkle in the flour. Whisk together over medium-low heat. Cook for a couple of minutes, whisking constantly. Don't let it burn.
- Pour in the milk, add the mustard and whisk until smooth. Cook until very thick, about 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to low.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg. Take 1/4 cup of the sauce and slowly pour it into the beaten egg, whisking constantly to avoid cooking the eggs. Whisk together until smooth.
- Pour the egg mixture into the rest of the sauce, whisking constantly. Stir until smooth.
- Add in the cheese and stir to melt. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt and the pepper. Add any additional spices if desired. Taste the sauce and add more salt and seasoned salt as needed! DO NOT UNDERSALT.
- Pour in the drained, cooked macaroni and stir to combine. Bake in 350F oven for 20 min. Once set let it cool and cut into desired portions. Bread in seasoned flour and fry.
PRO TIP: If you don’t want the hassle of making mac and cheese from scratch, try a pre-prepared option:
2491603 Macaroni & Cheese Entrée