Oh crap. Chef Marcus forgot to prep something special for Valentines. No worries though! By changing up his presentation using a cute little heart cookie cutter, he has a unique appetizer to offer the all the Valentine's couples. This Shrimp and Grit Cake appetizer is a delicious change up on the classic southern dish, and your guests practicing Lent this year will love the diet-friendly dish.
What are you serving for Valentine's? Take a pic and tag us on Instagram and Twitter!
2 cups grits
6 2/3 cups low-sodium stock
1/2 cup grated Parmesan
1 tblspon unsalted butter
1 lb shrimp
Juice of 1 lemon
1/3 cup diced red bell pepper
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 cup stock
1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
1393097 Packer Grits Corn White Stone Ground
5568241 Sysco Classic Broth Chicken
4066878 Arezzio Cheese Parmesan Grated Dry Carton US
5926910 Butter Solid Unsalted USDA AA
6345482 Shrimp Peeled & Deveined 40-50 per # USA
- Cook grits as directed on package, using about 6 cups stock instead of water. Modify quantity of stock as needed for desired consistency.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; coat paper with cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine grits, parmesan, butter and the shrimp; season with salt and black pepper.
- Pour grits onto the baking sheet and smooth into an even layer. Cover and refrigerate until very firm, at least 2 1/2 hours or overnight.
- Use a 2-inch cutter to cut out 16 heart shaped cakes; cover cakes and refrigerate.
- Pan sear until brown on both sides and finish in 350F oven for 5 min. Serve hot.