If you are looking for a unique appetizer or premium side for your St. Patrick's Day menu, Chef Marcus recommends this Candied Rasher Smoked Bacon, served with a side of house-made Guinness Cheese Sauce. Your guests will love the authentic Irish-style bacon and Guinness-flavored sauce, but they'll love the creativity of the dish even more! Chef says holidays like this make the perfect opportunity to wow your guests with your creativity, and keep them coming back all year round!
Make this in your restaurant, but be sure to tag us on Instagram and Twitter!
- Heat oven to 350°F and arrange a rack in the middle.
- Mix together the brown sugar and maple syrup in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and arrange the bacon strips side by side. Using a pastry brush, evenly coat both sides of the bacon with the sugar-syrup mixture.
- Cook until the bacon looks caramelized, about 20 minutes. Let cool for 15 minutes before serving.
Cheese Sauce Ingredients
4 tablespoons flour
½ cup Guinness beer
½ -1 cup milk
8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese
salt and pepper to taste
Cheese Sauce Preparation
- Heat a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the butter, and once it’s melted and bubbly add the flour. Whisk together to create a roux and cook for 1-2 minutes until mixture gets a bit golden in color.
- Add the beer and 1/2 cup milk, stir and turn down heat to low.
- Continue stirring until milk thickens. Add in the cheddar cheese and continue to stir until mixture is smooth.
- If the sauce seems too thick, thin with more milk. Season with salt and pepper.