When you think summer time what do you think of? Odds are the classic American grill-outs & BBQ come to mind! That's why Chef Marcus recommends a house-recipe pulled pork for Independence Day. Not only will this item make your day-of prep oh so much easier, but you can also use your pulled pork in unique ways your guests won't expect to add excitement to your menu-classics. Today, we bring you the traditional BBQ Pork Sandwich, but check back all week to see unique ways to incorporate bbq into quick sides and appetizers as well! And if you have an idea on how to use BBQ in fun new ways, share it with us on Instagram @SyscoAtlanta!
2458778 Bun Hamburger Potato 4.25” Sliced
5778089 Sauce BBQ Reserve Spicy
1930544 Salad Coleslaw Homestyle
5391115 Salad Potato Diced w/ Egg
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Score pork skin in a crosshatch pattern with a sharp knife (forming 1-inch diamonds). Be sure to cut through skin and fat but not into the meat. Then, pat the meat dry and rub all over with 1 Tbsp each of salt and pepper, and whatever additional seasonings you desire.
- Place in a roasting pan skin side up and put into 400°F oven on the bottom rack for 20 minutes.
- Remove the pork butt from the oven, and reduce heat to 225°F. Fill the roasting pan halfway with water or stock.
- Return the pork butt to 225°F oven and cook until tender (a meat fork should insert easily) and an instant-read thermometer inserted 2 inches into center of meat (avoid bone) registers 190°F. This should take 7 to 8 hours total.
- Remove pork but from oven and transfer to a cutting board. If skin is not crisp, cut it off with at least 1/4 inch fat attached (cut any large pieces into bite-size ones) and roast, fat side down, in a 4-sided sheet pan in a 350°F oven until crisp, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Pull pork apart and keep warm until ready to serve.
The BBQ Pork Sandwich
- Warm your pre-cooked pork in a sauce pan. Keep warm until ready to serve.
- Pile pork on a bun. Optional: Toast the bun for an elevated experience!
- Serve piping hot with a side of BBQ sauce, and traditional cole slaw and potato salad sides!